Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Writing a book

So, for years I've been filled with different ideas for novels that I thought I'd like to write. Some were sappy, some were (supposed to be) profound, some with humor, some with lots of action. And I always tried to write down the main premise, the summary, something to keep it in my memory for later. You know, for when I have more time. Maybe after both kids are grown up and on their own.

But there was one idea that emerged and took residence in my head and instead of me moving on to something else, it just grew and developed and expanded until I basically had no choice but to see it through.
I had some "use it or lose it" vacation time, so I took a sabbatical. Ok, so "sabbatical" is a bit too fancy a name for several days off, but my plan was to write in the mornings and sew/create jewelry for the craft show I will be at in November. I really need to replenish my stock, and I'm not even sure if I will get to make more candle holders (that sold really well in person, but not so much on etsy.)
I'm also thinking of making some door hanging pouch things that you can put your phone and keys and what-not, so you remember them before you leave the house.
Anyway, right now I'm stalling and not going to my studio to sew, because writing this book is probably the most fun I had in ages. For now I won't announce the premise or any details, only say that it's an urban fantasy of sorts, with lots of social and racial overtones, transposed into the faery realm. There's action, humor, lots of dancing, and some romance (though I hope it does not take over the narrative), and it seems that I might have enough ideas and material for at least three books. Let's see if I can stay with it to see it written, edited and proofed.
When I have enough written, I might ask or beta readers, so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment